Remember that time long ago when you were still in school and you wanted to go out with your friends but you were too embarrassed to be seen with those pimples on your face, so you chose not to go? You thought then that as you get to be a young professional with a great job, those agony-filled days worrying about zits would be gone. How wrong you were. Now your acne reflects the stressful and unhealthy life you live, and you often feel the need to hide your face.
How Do You Get Acne?
Those pimples don’t appear magically overnight. Acne begins about 2-3 weeks before appearing on your skin’s surface. Deep within each sebaceous hair follicle or pore, your sebaceous glands work to produce sebum, the oil that keeps the skin moist and pliable. When your skin renews itself, the old cells die, mix with the skin’s natural oils, and are shed off. Normally, these cells are shed gradually, making room for fresh new skin. But dead skin cells may block the pores, leading to over-accumulation of oil underneath. Bacteria that live on the skin naturally begin to grow and multiply in this site, triggering an inflammatory response. Thus the red, angry pore that we see as a pimple.
What Triggers Acne?
Acne is a cyclic process that everyone experiences, and can occur at any age. It is not caused by eating too much chocolates or oily foods, nor does it occur exclusively on teenagers. Stress, periods, climate, cosmetic products (comedogenic), drugs and industrial chemical are factors that trigger acne.
How Do You Prevent Acne?
There’s no simple way to prevent acne. Healthy living is the way to go to prevent most health disorders, including acne.
- Nourish – A healthy, balanced diet can help your skin fight acne. Choose fresh, unprocessed foods from all four groups and drink eight glasses of water a day, or more when you exercise.
- Cleanse – To have clear skin, maintain a daily acne-fighting skin-care routine. Gently wash your face with a soap-free exfoliating cleanser twice a day to remove excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells. Avoid over washing, which dries out your skin and causes it to produce even more oil.
- Protect – While small amounts of sun exposure may seem to clear acne at first, the sun actually dries your skin, causing it to produce more oil and dead cells, creating the ideal environment for blemishes. Avoid excess sun exposure and wear at least SPF 15 sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy.
- Rest – A good night’s sleep (7-8 hours) can do wonders for your complexion and immune system, which helps fight infection to clear acne more quickly.
- Exercise – The skin benefits from the increase in blood flow and blood oxygen level that you get when you exercise. Wear loose-fitting, breathable clothing when exercising, and shower with an acne-fighting body wash soon after.
- Relax – Acne begins inside hair follicles, where sebaceous glands produce the protective oil that keeps skin soft and supple. Hormones control these glands, and psychological stress affects hormone levels. Too much stress can yield too much oil and trigger the acne cycle. So make time to do whatever activity that relaxes you.
How Proactiv Solution Combination Therapy Stops Acne
Proactiv Solution is the proven anti-acne medication.
- The Proactiv Renewing Cleanser (Step 1) and the Proactiv Revitalizing Toner (Step 2) works by removing dead skin cells, ensuring that the pores don’t get clogged. The Proactiv Revitalizing Toner (Step 2) removes excess oils.
- The Proactiv Renewing Cleanser (Step 1) and Proactiv Repairing Treatment (Step 3) kill the bacteria and prevent proliferation.
- The Refining Mask helps reduce the inflammation and swelling.
Proactiv is formulated to attack acne “proactively” – delivering the right concentration of medicines and acne-care agents, to help control the acne cycle before breakouts occur.
Proactiv heals your breakouts and keeps your complexion clear by helping to prevent future breakouts.
By clearing your skin, Proactiv also helps blemishes from leaving behind permanent scars. Its formulation gently removes excess dead skin cells and oil, kills acne-causing bacteria inside pores; and soothes redness and irritation.
You don’t have to hide your face because of acne. Use Proactiv to fight acne. It is safe and effective for almost everyone with mild to moderate acne.
Proactiv Solution comes in 30-Day kit (P2,495) and 60-Day kit (P3,995), and is available at all Watsons stores nationwide. For more information, visit the Proactiv website: http://my.proactiv.com.ph.