When Flooding Strikes: Be Informed, Be Prepared

27 Comments on When Flooding Strikes: Be Informed, Be Prepared
metro flood

Photo from Philippine Daily Inquirer

It’s another rainy weekend. Heavy rains started yesterday and still persisted this morning. Another round of flooding in various parts of Metro Manila.

Flooding Now A Regular Occurrence?

Circumstances and landscapes have changed a lot from only a few years ago.  Before, we know the usual flood-prone places in Metro Manila  like Malabon and Navotas. Now, a big part of Metro Manila gets flooded in times of continuous rains. Even some provinces are not spared of this flooding problem.

Is flooding a natural disaster? No, I don’t think so. Raining is a natural phenomenon. But severe flooding is caused by our inability to properly take care of the resources that we have been blessed with. We continue to build tall and taller buildings in an already densely-populated metropolis. People continue to build homes beside waterways and low-lying areas.  We use plastic products and throw these wherever we like.

Flooding and Social Media

If we have to accept severe flooding as a regularly occurring phenomenon in the Philippines, we must learn how to deal with flooding so that we can go on with our lives. We should be informed, so we can be prepared. Aside from traditional media (print, radio, TV), social media has also proven its worth in giving out relevant information in times of flooding and other disasters. Facebook and Twitter accounts of news sites regularly give updates on weather and flooding status.

In Twitter, I’ve grouped into a list a few useful accounts to follow in times of heavy rains. Weather updates, flood updates, traffic news, and class suspensions can be monitored in these accounts. Rescue and relief efforts can also be reported and monitored using the hashtags #rescueph and #reliefph.

twitter list umuulan

Philam Life’s FRIENDS

In line with its mission to “empower Filipinos to achieve financial security and prosperity,” Philam Life will be holding a “Family Readiness in Emergencies and Natural Disasters Seminar” or FRIENDS. This is part of the company’s BalikBayani Forum for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs). OFWs currently on vacation in the Philippines, and those with OFW relatives are invited to take part in this free seminar about emergency and disaster preparedness.  Seminar will be held on Wednesday, September 19,1-5pm,  at Philamlife Cubao Office in Aurora Blvd beside LRT2 Gateway station. Those interested to join may email me at mas10ph@gmail.com or comment below for details.

It’s scary to think that severe flooding is the new “normal.” Let’s intensify our efforts in protecting our environment so that we may reverse the damage that we have inflicted in our surroundings.

Disclosure: I am a financial advisor affiliated with Philam Life.

27 thoughts on “When Flooding Strikes: Be Informed, Be Prepared

1. Franc Ramon

It’s scary really that floods are now a norm. Even earthquakes are getting common so its really uncertain. I’m sure new insurance products are being developed to hedge on calamities.

2. mas10ph Post author

I don’t even want to think about earthquakes! Remember August 31 when it was raining hard in the evening and there was also an earthquake too although the intensity was low in Manila. That was a really scary night for me.

1. mas10ph Post author

Pre-need companies are different from insurance companies. Philamlife is an insurance company. Some pre-need companies had problems some years back. Let me know if you need more info.

3. Tricia Tanhueco (@FenellaMonique)

I hate hearing and reading things like this because it breaks my heart but I cannot just turn the other cheek just because I am not in the Philippines. My family and friends are all there and I always want to know they are safe so despite the sadness I feel whenever I watch the news or read blogs about the PH experiencing terrible flood again, I watch and read and of course, call them.

“Raining is a natural phenomenon. But severe flooding is caused by our inability to properly take care of the resources that we have been blessed with.” THIS. EXACTLY.

4. Tricia Tanhueco (@FenellaMonique)

5. marrimye

FLOODS… it’s normal nowadays. People should always be ready and well-informed about the weather condition. it’s good to know that PhilamLife has protection to offer to the public.

6. rj's mama

yes, it’s really important to be prepared during calamities. great that philam is conducting a seminar to prepare for natural disasters and calamities. btw, how can one become a financial advisor at philam?

1. mas10ph Post author

Hi there! If you’re interested to become a Philamlife advisor, there is an orientation for you to know the requirements and perks of being one. Pls. give me your email address so I can give you more details. Btw, may I know where you live?

7. rj's mama

1. mas10ph Post author

1. mas10ph Post author

2. Maks

You may not believe this, but in acuatlity Philam Life’s profitability is little affected by whatever financial problems AIG has. That’s because in large part the assets that Philam Life owns is invested in the local economy: Philippine bonds and blue chip stocks. This was a measure enacted by the Philippine’s Insurance Commission to protect our economy from such shocks, a lesson they picked up from the Asian Financial crisis in 1997. The only material change is a change in ownership, but the policies continue and are still profitable. The only reason Philam would have problems is that current clients cash in their funds, and prospective buyers don’t invest. In short, the financial crisis born out of fear, not from a lack of funds.I advise you to meet with your insurance agent any insurance agent anyway. Peso cost averaging helps you gain money in good times and in bad, and insurance plans are an excellent vehicle for such things.If you have questions or concerns, feel free to reply at my email.

8. Ia Adam-Lim

I can relate to flood victims because my family and I were victims of Ondoy. I have moved now to a place safe from the flood but I still don’t feel that safe. I value posts like this because it informs people what to do to prepare for a flood.

1. mas10ph Post author

Glad to know that you’ve moved. Yes, I know the feeling of not feeling safe. Our place has always been flood-free but I still worry that we’d get flooded especially when it rains hard non-stop for days. Crazy weather we have now.

9. Ia Adam-Lim